Wednesday 15 October 2014

The day of the Operation

Saturday 11th October 2014

0530 Get up and have a thorough shower.  Feeling very hungry and could kill for a mug of coffee, but nil-by-mouth.  Order my taxi for 0630.  Filled in registration forms, got together my dressing gown, slippers, overnight bag just in case...

I should say at this point my intention was to try and stay in overnight if this was offered as an alternative to going home.  The last time I had an operation was in 2004, a hernia repair at Wharfedale hospital on a day case and the only other time I have had a general anaesthetic in my life.  On that occasion I travelled to my parents home in Middlesbrough after the surgery, only to suffer an Ileus (mechanical blockage of the intestines) and be rushed into South Tees hospital in an ambulance with flashing lights, only to spend the entire evening there on IV fluids and an ECG.

I maintain unto this day, that even this type of "minor" surgery carries too many risks of complications, post-operatively and to operate under general anaesthesia and send you home is utterly wrong, and that everyone should be kept in for at least 24 hours in order to monitor the patient afterwards and manage their pain in those crucial few hours.

0640  Arrived at Spire hospital (too early as usual with me!) no receptionist, just the security guard who took my name and had me sit in the waiting area.  There was only one other patient there with her mother, I think.  Around 0655 a steady stream of patients and the receptionist arrived and the waiting room filled up.  The receptionist checked in quite a few patients and then came to get me in order to register.  After another ten or twenty minutes I was collected and taken up to ward 2 and my own personal room.



All very clean and tidy with a machine that goes "Bing" and a cardboard tray for being sick into.  They might have kept that hidden until it may become necessary I thought.

So that was to be my own private space for the day.  I made myself comfortable and prepared for a wait of unknown duration.

Several people came, all very bubbly and excited, which seemed to me entirely appropriate, much rather that than sombre.

The surgeon came in and got me to sign the consent form, reminding me that there were the chance of complications which included infection, bleeding etc but 99% of these cases went without a hitch.

It wasn't until I got home and read the form a little closer to see that one of the complications was DVI which I gather stands for "Deep Vein Incompetence", PE which I think is "Pulmonary Embolism", alongside the words, "Non-Union", "Nerve Injury", and the most horrific, "Amputation".  I'm glad I didn't read that beforehand. I'm pleased to tell you that I still have ten toes, at this moment in time anyhow.

The surgeon whipped out a felt pen and marked my operation site....



The Anaesthetist came in all humorous and charismatic, as most anaesthetists seem to be in my experience, perhaps someone who holds life in a constant state of balance needs a certain type of personality.  Anyway he was very supportive and upbeat.  I did raise my concern of being a total wimp and being most anxious about post-surgical pain and also my experience of the last time I had a general.  He explained that Ileus is mostly concerned with abdominal procedures and there should be no such complications with a big toe.  He also said they would put in a pain block which should last up to 48 hours rendering the leg completely numb from the knee down.  This put my mind at rest considerably.  He finished up by saying that the only problem was, that I was last on the list, right up to lunchtime, around 1300.  I remember thinking, "my god I hope they are not too tired or hungry to do it by then!".

Several other nurses came and did lots of tests, a physiotherapist came and brought me a boot that I would wear post-surgery, went through the circulation exercises that I would need to do, and then it went very quiet.  For what seemed like a very long time.

I read half of my book, "Dear Friend and Gardener, Letters on Life and Gardening" by Beth Chatto and Christopher Lloyd" which I am finding fascinating.

I kept looking at my watch and seeing other patients walking past the door in hospital gowns on the way to surgery, and then the same person being pushed back to their room with a drip attached and an oxygen mask on...quite surreal, but when would I be next?

At 1230 a nurse came in and said, "haven't you got changed yet, your going down at 1300?"

I got changed.

1300 passed.  Then 1400.  At 1415 I saw the young nurse who I had spoken to earlier and asked what was happening,  At that second a man turned up in theatre green.  I was on.

1425 In the holding room, and the anaesthetist starts telling me about a surreal story of skiing in the alps or something, sounded like he was performing a play...he put a needle in my hand and pumped in what looked like about half a gallon of clear liquid,,,,,felt like he had given me a whole bottle of scotch in one go.......next thing I remember I was waking up in the recovery room.

1600 or there abouts I am in a different room with tubes coming out of everywhere and a mask on.  The nurse says, "how are you feeling?".  I remember feeling as drunk as a skunk but with a burning, searing, unbearable pain in my foot...."My foot hurts", I said, "My foot really hurts"...

"I can give you some morhpine, but we don't want you to choke to death, we've done very well so far today and don't want to spoil anything!".

I have to tell you here that this is what I think she said, I was completely paralytic and might have dreamed it.

I said something like, "Yes, morphine, please, if I choke then you have my permission".

After a long time, which was probably only a few seconds, the pain in my foot started to ease.  The anaesthetist came over and said, "You look like you're grimacing, you were worried about the pain were'nt you?" Again I might have dreamt this.

Anyway this scene from Alice in Wonderland through a haze of morphine carried on for some time.

1615 I was back in my private room.  Peace and quiet and allowed to rest for a while.
Soon I was brought a jug of water which I sipped away at from a tiny glass with a straw.  It tasted like mountain spring water after weeks of being stranded on a desert island. My foot was still hurting so the nurse gave me more morphine, this time liquid form, and a pot of pills to take.
20 minutes or so I was feeling as right as rain, ready for my sandwich, smoked salmon on brown bread with a nice salad, lemon and a pot of fresh coffee.......it was bliss to me.

1715 The door opened and there was my dear partner and as a lovely surprise, my beloved Mum too!  I was suddenly really looking forward to going home.

The physio came in with crutches and taught me how to use them with the shoe, I was given pain medication to take home (co-codamol, diclofenac, and some injections to thin the blood and prevent Thrombosis), and that was it, discharged!

That night got into bed with pillows under my leg to raise it, laid awake all night, no pain though as the block was obviously working with the pain meds.






No comments:

Post a Comment