Thursday 16 October 2014

Sunday 12th October, 1 Day after surgery

Kept on the pain medication as prescribed, leg elevated, shoe on.

Very little pain from the foot, however the effects of all the medications where starting to affect my digestive system (again).

I will make a very important observation at this point, it is absolutely essential that you do not ignore the advice regarding laxatives after general anaesthetic and when you're taking pain medication on a regular basis.

I started filling up with gas and my stomach was distended, same as last time I had a general anaesthetic.  I realised that it was too late, I should have had some laxatives yesterday and not waited until the day after.  The pain was excruciating and there is no reprise from it, you go to the toilet and sit there as if your entire digestive system has just "shut down", indeed this is exactly what has happened.

In a bit of a panic I sent out for some oral laxatives and a product called "lactulose" was brought back.  Here's another thing, when you're taking strong pain killers you can't think straight, your mind is affected and also your judgement.  I read the minute printed instructions on the bottle and couldn't make sense of any of it.  In one place it said "dose: 30-45ml three times a day" and another place it said "one dose with breakfast".  In shear frustration and in abject agony with constipation, I swigged down 30ml and waited for something to happen.  I looked up lactulose on the internet in the meantime, and to my dismay it quite clearly stated that it could take up to 48 hours for it to work!

"I haven't got 48 hours, I f***ing need relief NOW", I shouted in frustration.

So trying to convalesce from an operation, this is really not what you need.

In frustration I took another 30ml - this was about 2000 at night.........very bad idea in hindsight.

Went to bed around 2115 in total agony with trapped wind, stomach gurgling like you can't imagine, fell into a restless sleep.

0315 in the morning I am woken up with huge stomach cramps and rush to the toilet on crutches where I sit there for over an hour feeling sick, going green, feeling like I was going to pass out, until finally relief came.......I shan't go into more detail here but you can imagine the outcome.

I remembered reading that taking an overdose of lactulose, however small could be extremely dangerous because of the alteration in electrolyte levels.  I thought I had probably overdosed by 30ml which was quite a lot.  Maybe that's why I felt so ill.

0415 Back to bed only to wake up a few hours later, desperate for the toilet again, and again, and again etc you can imagine.

Moral of the story:  Take your laxatives as soon as you get home after surgery and keep to a maintenance dose whilst you are on pain meds regularly.

Throughout this entire episode, I have had more pain and discomfort from constipation and trapped wind, caused by the medications and aesthetic than anything relating to the surgery itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment